Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Three Bean Turkey Chili

As promised, a new recipe today! Remember that Turkey Meatloaf from the other night? I had 4 pieces left over which was not enough to feed all of us and I needed something fast for dinner. Anyone else ever realize it's 4 o'clock and you haven't even begun to THINK about what to feed the family? This was one of those nights. So I turned to my trusty food storage. Those who know me, know my basement looks like a mini-mart so I generally have lots of staples on hand. You could just as easily run to the store if you didn't have these ingredients. There are only a few and you'd get some more steps in! Chili is a quick, easy, filling and low calorie go-to.
 
 
 
 
Serving size: 1 Cup  Servings: 12  Calories: 177
4 squares leftover turkey meatloaf- bacon removed*
1 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1 can Kidney Beans not drained
1 can Pinto Beans not drained
1 can Black Beans not draineed
1 Can diced tomatoes with chiles (I had Pace, you can use Rotel)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 Tbsp Cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
 
 
Spray a large dutch oven or pot (I used my non-stick ceramic cast iron dutch oven) with non-stick spray. Over medium heat sautee onions & garlic just until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Dice meatloaf and add to pot stirring until heated through. Add cumin, then scrape bits from bottom of pot.
 
 
Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes until heated through and beans are tender.
 
I served the kids' with some shredded cheddar, homemade pico and baked tortilla strips. Jason and I just ate ours as-is and it was gone so quickly I didn't even get a finished picture!
 
*If you don't have leftover meatloaf you could make this with regular ground turkey just make sure to cook it through before adding your canned ingredients.You could also leave it out and make it vegetarian friendly. Meatless each serving is 112 calories. You can adjust with your meat of choice accordingly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment